Do you want to turn a stoner into an engineer at the drop of a dime? All you have to do is give them a baggie of weed with no way to smoke it and watch the magic begin. All of a sudden, household items from the recycle bin have mouth-pieces and various fruits are equipped with percolators. The stoners that were once couchlocked are now operating 3D printers and performing airflow tests on their crushed soda can pipe: a true miracle!
Every smoker has gotten lost at the corner of Wanna Get Stoned Street and I Broke My Bong Boulevard, and there are many paths back to stoned salvation. If you’re in a bind and looking to get buzzed, try revamping some of these household items:
1. Make A Plastic Bottle Gravity Bong
One of the simplest and most effective DIY paraphernalia hacks starts with an ordinary plastic bottle. Whether it’s an empty two-liter of Mountain Dew after a gaming bender or a water bottle after a ten-mile hike, you’ll still end up with the same stoned result with this household item.
What You’ll Need to Make a Gravity Bong
- Plastic Bottle
- Bucket or Larger Plastic Bottle
- A Knife and/or Scissors
- Aluminum Foil
Directions For Making Your Gravity Bong
- First, use a knife (or a pair of scissors) to cut the bottom off the plastic water bottle. The easiest way to approach this is by cleanly piercing the bottle with a knife, about 2 inches from the base of the bottle. Then, using that piercing as an entry point and guide, use a pair of scissors to cut straight around the bottle until the bottom is detached.
- Unscrew the cap from your newly-halved bottle. Replace said cap by covering the mouthpiece with a sheet of aluminum foil. When applying the foil, be sure you form a slight concave to ensure a bowl-like composition, and don’t wrap the foil too tightly – you’ll need to take off the foil later on! Then, use the tip of your knife or a toothpick to poke tiny holes in the foil.
- Find a container that’s slightly larger than your bottle. Fill the container with water, leaving a couple inches at the top to avoid spillage.
- Insert your bottle into the container, being sure the mouthpiece remains above water. Sprinkle your pot onto your aluminum foil mouthpiece, but be sure your bud isn’t ground so fine that you lose it through the holes you’ve poked. Once it’s “packed”, light the cannabis with a flame while you slowly raise the bottle up. This will create a suction effect, filling your plastic bottle chamber with cannabis smoke. Just as the bottom of the bottle nears the surface of the water, remove the foil bowl and inhale through the mouthpiece. To force more smoke into your lungs, you can push the bottle back down into the water as you slowly inhale.
2. How To Make A Pringles Pipe
This homemade cannabis hack takes care of the high and the munchies. When it comes to Pringles, you won’t stop popping - then you won’t stop puffing!
What You’ll Need to Make a Pringles Pipe
- Can of Pringles
- Bowl/Downstem or Joint
Directions for Making Your Pringles Pipe
- The best part of this construction process is purging the canister of all Pringles. The preferred method, of course, is by mouth.
- Using the knife, make a hole about ⅔ of the way down the container. Be sure to make the hole at an upward-facing angle and large enough to fit your bowl or joint.
- Place your joint or bowl into the hole and secure it with the tape.
- Hold a flame to your cannabis and inhale through the opening of the can. If you still have Pringles left over, enjoy a snack along with your high!
3. How to Make a Honey Bear Bong
The only thing sweeter than a spoonful of sugar is a bowl of Blueberry Kush, and stoners get to experience the best of both worlds with the Honey Bear Bong!
What You’ll Need to Make a Honey Bear Bong
- Plastic Honey Bear (a staple cupboard household item)
Directions for Making a Honey Bear Bong
- Clean the Bear. Be sure to thoroughly clean and rinse the honey from the plastic container. If you have more leftover honey than you thought, make a pot of tea!
- Make the Hole. Use the lighter to heat the spot on the bear where you’d like to place the downstem. Generally, this is a little past halfway down the plastic container ( the bear’s belly button). Using the knife, quickly make a small incision into the heated area.
- Place the Downstem. Quickly after making the incision, place the downstem/bowl through the hole. As the plastic cools, it should mold around the downstem, creating a secure, airtight seal.
- Smoke the Cannabis. Fill the bear with enough water to submerge the bottom of the downstem, and fill the bowl with enough weed to get you properly high. Ignite the kush, and inhale through the opening at the top of the container. If you start coughing, make another pot of tea!
4. How to Make a Tic Tac Bong
This tiny cannabis contraption turns a canister of Tic Tacs into a game of Tic-Tac-TOKE! And no need to fear the smell of cannabis this time around – because everyone leaves this session with fresh, minty breath.
What You’ll Need to Make a Tic Tac Bong
- Tic Tac Container
- Small Bowl/Downstem
Directions for Making a Tic Tac Bong
- Empty the Tic Tacs. Rid all tiny, pill-shaped mints from the Tic Tac container. This step is particularly helpful if you had garlic bread for lunch.
- Make the Hole. Using the lighter (or a match, if you’re in the bathroom), heat the spot on the container where you’d like to place the downstem. It’s best to place the hole on a thinner side of the container, a bit more than halfway down. Once heated, quickly make a small incision with the knife.
- Place the Downstem. Before the plastic hardens, insert the small bowl/downstem into the prepared hole. As the plastic cools, it should mold around the downstem, creating a secure, airtight seal.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack the bowl to your heart’s content, and add a couple splashes of water to the container – just enough to cover the bottom end of the downstem. Then, hold a flame to your bud and inhale through the container’s opening at the top.
5. How to Make A Toilet Paper Roll Steamroller
Toilet paper is one of the most crucial household items. Between the steam from the shower and the airflow from the vent, the bathroom has always been a favorite smoke spot for cautious stoners. This homemade toilet paper steam(roll)er is just another reason to visit the bathroom for your weed needs!
What You’ll Need to Make A Toilet Paper Roll Steamroller
- Toilet Paper/Paper Towel Roll
- Aluminum Foil
- Pen or Pencil
Directions for Making a Toilet Paper Roll Steamroller
- Prepare the Roll. Unless you enjoy toilet paper trimmings on your homemade paraphernalia, you can start by cleaning your cardboard roll.
- Make the Hole. Use your pen or pencil to punch a hole for your bowl. Do this about 2 inches from the end of the hole, giving the smoke the proper space to travel and roll.
- Form the Bowl. If you have a small enough bowl, place it snugly into the hole you created. If you don’t, feel free to form a makeshift bowl from aluminum foil. Be sure to poke holes in it to allow the smoke to travel! You can also use aluminum foil to form an end cap for your steamroller, preventing smoke from escaping your lungs.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack your homemade bowl with your favorite pot. Position your mouth at the end of the roll furthest from the bowl, and hold a flame to the ganja, inhaling.
6. How to Make a Milk Jug Bong/Bowl Hybrid
Have you grown tired of your bowl, but you don’t want to spend the big bucks on a fancy new bong? A milk jug can serve as the household item you’re looking for (plus, it’ll give you your recommended daily dose of calcium)!
What You’ll Need to Make a Milk Jug Bong/Bowl Hybrid
- Milk Jug
- An Old Pipe/Bowl
- Bendy Straw
- Silly Putty
Directions for Making a Milk Jug Bong / Bowl Hybrid
- Prepare the Pipe. Place the bendy end of the straw into the mouthpiece of the old pipe. If it doesn’t seem secure, use the putty to make the seal airtight.
- Make the Hole. Use the knife to poke a straw-sized hole about ¾ of the way down the jug.
- Assemble the Device. Place the free end of the straw through the hole you made in the milk jug. To seal the bong, use more silly putty to thoroughly cover any openings between the straw and jug.
- Smoke Cannabis. Fill the jug with enough water to submerge the free end of the straw, and pack the old bowl with some grade-A ganja. Set your weed ablaze, and inhale through the opening at the top. The most mundane household item has now become a vessel for endless hilarity.
7. How to Make a Soda Can Cannabis Pipe
The smoky scents of pot and nostalgia waft through the air after exhaling a puff from this DIY pipe. Unofficial studies show that over 43% of smokers lose their marijuana virginity using this household item.
What You’ll Need to Make a Soda Can Cannabis Pipe
- Soda Can
- Poking Tool
Directions for Making a Soda Can Cannabis Pipe
- Clean the Can. Be sure to drink (or – if it’s too high in sugar – pour out) all of the soda and thoroughly clean the can before creating your pipe.
- Poke the Can. Use the poking apparatus (knife, thumbtack, paperclip, etc.) to create a formation of small holes in the side of the can for the smoke to travel through.
- Crush the Can. Make a concave dent in the can, providing a bowl-like surface for your weed to sit on. Be sure your holes are at the center of the “bowl”.
- Smoke Cannabis. Place a nug or two atop the indented area, and light ‘em up! Inhale through the can’s normal mouthpiece, and enjoy some Coca-Cola flavored cannabis!
8. How to Make an Apple Pipe
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, and a toke or two bids your stress adieu. Put them together, and you’ll feel better than you have in weeks!
What You’ll Need to Make an Apple Pipe
- Pen or Pencil
Directions for Making an Apple Pipe
- Make the Holes. Use the pen or pencil to stab through the top of the apple. Be sure you get through to at least the middle of the core, but not all the way through to the base. This hole will act as the bowl. Then poke a second hole through the side of the apple, perpendicular to the path you just created. This will act as the mouthpiece. The two holes should meet at the middle of the apple. Finally, make a third hole on the other side of the apple that also connects to the previously cleared pathways. This hole will act as the carb.
- Carve the Bowl. To your discretion, further carve the initial hole into the shape of a bowl. Make it nice and cozy for your cannabis to live in!
- Clear the Path. Blow through the holes to ensure that the paths are clear of debris and that all three holes are interconnected.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack the bowl you’ve created at the top of the apple, light the herb, and inhale through the mouthpiece while working the carb. Enjoy with a warm slice of apple pie and steamy apple cider to complete the autumn apple experience.
9. How to Make a Pineapple Bong
Smoking Pineapple Express in a pineapple bong while watching Pineapple Express and eating pineapple upside down cake: try to name a better Friday night!
What You’ll Need to Make a Pineapple Bong
- Whole Pineapple
- Rubber or Plastic Tubing
- Large Knife
- Small Knife
- Joint or Chillum
Directions for Making a Pineapple Bong
- Prepare the Pineapple. Cut off the top of the pineapple and set it aside. Use the large knife to make an X-shaped incision into the flesh of the pineapple, making it easier to scoop out the middle. With a large spoon, scoop out the middle of the pineapple, creating a water chamber for your “bong”.
- Make the Holes. Use the more narrow knife to pierce a hole – approximately the same size as your tube – in the side of the pineapple. Then, pierce a hole of the same size in the pineapple top you set aside.
- Construct the Bong. Cut the tubing in half. Place one of the halves into the hole at the side of the pineapple – it should be long enough to reach the water chamber and act as the downstem for this setup. On the outer end of the downstem tube, you can place your chillum or joint, along with some putty to adhere it. Place the other half of your tube into the hole in the pineapple top. This will act as your mouthpiece. Finally, fill the pineapple with enough water to submerge the downstem tube, and then close the pineapple with the tube-equipped top.
- Smoke Cannabis. Put a lighter to your joint or chillum, and inhale through the mouthpiece tube at the top of the pineapple. Remember to buy some tiny umbrellas!
10. How to Make a Carrot Chillum
A carrot can make an extremely sturdy smoking apparatus. Unfortunately, using a carrot chillum won’t improve your eyesight.
What You’ll Need to Make a Carrot Chillum
- Carrot (Thick Straight)
- Paring Knife
- Skewer (Metal or Bamboo)
Directions for Making a Carrot Chillum
- Prep the Carrot. Cut the carrot just below the stem. This thick end will eventually become your bowl. Make a second cut where you want the mouthpiece to be.
- Mark the Entry Points. Using the same paring knife, make a slight incision in the center of each end of the carrot. Slightly drill into the carrot, twisting the knife. These marks will serve as your entry points in drilling.
- Drill the Hole. Utilize the skewer to make a clean path from end to end. Once the pathway is created, you can widen the bowl end and make any necessary adjustments.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack the bowl with your favorite stash and enjoy a gardenside toke.
11. How to Make a Jalapeno One Hitter
Jalapeno poppers are the perfect spicy stoner treats, but if you want to add some spice to your smoke sessions too, we have some good news ...
What You’ll Need to Make a Jalapeno One Hitter
- Thin Knife
Directions for Making a Jalapeno One Hitter
- Prep the Pepper. Nothing serious here! Just wash your pepper: you don’t want to smoke out of unwashed produce!
- Pull the Stem. Remove the stem from your jalapeno. This should open up a pretty clear path through the middle.
- Bite the End. Bite off the other end of the pepper. This should complete the airflow pathway. If it doesn’t, use the thin knife to clear the way for precious marijuana smoke.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack the stem end of the jalapeno and rip away for a spicy kick along with the smoke.
12. How to Make a Pumpkin Bong
Halloween is over, and every grocery store entrance is lined with discount pumpkins. Grab a gourd and find out the true way to make the Halloween season last with this festive household item!
What You’ll Need to Make a Pumpkin Bong
- Bowl and Downstem
- Mouthpiece (tube, pipe, straw, etc.)
Directions for Making a Pumpkin Bong
- Prepare the Pumpkin. Using the knife, carve off the top of the pumpkin. Then, completely clean out the pumpkin “guts” as if you’re planning to carve it. Once you’re finished, use the knife to mark where you’re planning on placing your downstem and mouthpiece holes.
- Make the Holes. The bowl hole should be on the side of the pumpkin, driving in at a downward angle so the downstem can reach the bottom of the pumpkin. The mouthpiece hole should be near the top of the pumpkin on the opposite side from the downstem. Create the holes with the knife, and size them based upon the size of your downstem and mouthpiece.
- Construct the Bong. Install your mouthpiece, downstem, and bowl. If the seals aren’t airtight, feel free to use silly putty, bubble gum, or mystery sludge to fill the gaps. Finally, fill the pumpkin with the necessary amount of water and replace the pumpkin top.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack a bowl with your favorite Halloween-themed weed (we recommend Zombie OG or Jack Skellington), and enjoy your session with a spooky twist!
14. Toys for Tokes
A stoner’s perfect toy box would be filled with a plethora of pot and paraphernalia: Blue Dream, Girl Scout Cookies, bongs, bowls, and blunt wraps! However, when household items of that variety run dry, you may find luck in a more traditional toy box.
What You’ll Need to Make a Mr. Potato Head Pipe
- Mr. Potato Head
- Power Drill w/ Drill Bit
- Silly Putty
Directions for making a Mr. Potato Head Pipe
- Prepare the Potato Head. Take your Mr. Potato Head and say a prayer for him – he’s about to go through some major surgery. Luckily, Mr. Potato Head is already equipped with holes galore, so you have a jumping off point. Choose three holes to move forward with, and remove all attachments from said holes.
- Pave the Airways. Using the power drill and drill bit, drill into the chosen holes, toward the middle of Mr. Potato Head. Once finished, blow through the holes to ensure that all three pathways are connected and clear.
- Assemble the Pipe. Stick the straw in the hole intended for the mouthpiece. Stick your joint in the hole intended for the bowl. The remaining hole acts as your carb. If any seals seem less than airtight, you can fix that with silly putty.
- Smoke Cannabis. Light up the joint and enjoy your one-on-one smoke session with Mr. Potato Head!
15. How to Make a Starburst Pipe
After rummaging through the toy box, it’s only right to take a dip in the candy jar! Starburst has been a force in the candy world for 60 years, and now they can be a force of fruity goodness in the weed world.
What You’ll Need to Make a Starburst Pipe
- 6-10 Starburst (the pink ones are the best)
- Skewer or Toothpick
Directions for Making a Starburst Pipe
- Prepare the Starburst. There are 12 Starburst in a pack. To make a pipe, you’ll need 6-10 Starburst, so eat the remaining 2-6 and enjoy! When you’re done, unwrap the Starburst you’ll be building with.
- Form the Pipe. Stack your Starburst and squish them together until bonded. Then, form them into the rough shape of a pipe.
- Create the Airway. Use a skewer to drive a hole through the stem and shaft of your Starburst pipe. Then use the skewer to create a bowl that’s connected with that pathway.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack your candy like any ordinary bowl, and enjoy that sweet, sweet high.
How to Make a Lego Bong
This feat may be a longshot, and it might require the skills of a bona fide master builder. But Lego says their bricks can be built into any shape and anything.
What You’ll Need to Make a Lego Bong
- Waterproof Adhesive
- Bowl and Downstem
Directions for Making a Lego Bong
- Build the Bong. Using the Legos, construct a (preferably functioning) bong. A simple straight tube into a water chamber, supported by a strong base is the obvious direction to go. But you’re building a bong out of freaking Legos – don’t worry about the status quo!
- Secure the Bricks. Once you’ve built the perfect design, secure the bricks with a waterproof adhesive.
- Complete the Setup. It’s probably harmful to smoke Legos, so finish your design off with a glass bowl and downstem.
- Smoke Cannabis. Pack the bowl and enjoy the blocky fruits of your labor. Oddly enough, The Lego Movie is a terrific stoner flick.
So get to building! Now you know how to make bongs out of 15 household items! Go smoke up and enjoy.